The Unsolicited Electronic Messages Ordinance ("the UEMO") has fully commenced on 22 December 2007. Now, senders of commercial electronic messages are required:
- to provide clear and accurate sender information in the message;
- to provide an unsubscribe facility and an unsubscribe facility statement in the message;
- to honour unsubscribe requests within ten (10) working days after the request has been sent;
- not to send commercial electronic messages to any telephone or fax number registered in the Do-not-call Registers starting from the tenth (10) working day of its registration, unless consent has been given by the registered user of the relevant telephone or fax number;
- not to hide the calling line identification information when sending messages from telephone or fax numbers; and
- not to send email messages with misleading subject headings.
In addition, the UEMO also prohibits:
- the use of unscrupulous techniques to expand the reach of commercial electronic messages; and
- fraud and other illicit activities related to the sending of multiple commercial electronic messages.
Information for the Public